Cake decorating with buttercream



wintertime fun with buttercream

Piping roses with Dominic

Normally during school holidays the family and I go away at least part of the holiday break. However, this year, we were lucky enough to take a trip to Singapore for 9 days during term, so we have a bit more time on our hands.
Anyway, I had a request for a buttercream birthday cake for Ajay's Mum. You can take a peek at this cake below.
I don't do a lot of buttercream orders, as the weather is generally too warm here in Melbourne, but during the winter months, it is fine. To cut a long story short, I had some left-over buttercream and thought it might be fun to do a bit of cake decorating with the kids.
This was easy enough to set up as I have a whole lot of disposable piping bags. If you put a coupler ring on the end, you can easy change tips and colours. After a while, we had quite a few roses. I wasn't sure what to do with them at first.
However, we decided to arrange them on the cake above. After we added a few piped blackberries and fondant leaves I was happy with the result.  A nice way to brighten a winter night!