How To Transport A Cake

Here's a few tips.
  • Cakes need protection from both damage and contamination, so are best transported covered.
  • Choose a container or box that is very close to the size of the board you have used under the cake to stop the board from moving around.
  •  If using a deep container, use the lid as a base so it is easy to remove the cake with out damaging the sides of the cake.
  •  If using a box there is also less risk of damaging the cake if  the cake can be slid out the side of the box, rather than lifted out of the top.
  • Make any alternations to the box before you place the cake in it.
  • The container or Box must be placed on a flat surface
  • Use non slip mat under both boxes and containers  for transport.
  • In a standard car the safest place to transport a cake is in the boot. 
  • The passenger seat, or back seat are not safe places to transport your cake.
  • It is much safer for the cake to be in the boot on a non-slip mat, than held by a passenger.
  • Drive carefully, no sudden moves and take it easy on the corners.
 Some of my adventures...

 Jessica's doll cake had to travel from Melbourne to Canberra by plane. I rang the airline and they said  not only would it have to be placed in the overhead locker if there wasn't a spare seat, the cake also had to go through the x-ray machine.

In the end the poor doll had to be transported without her head as it was the only way I could fit the cake in a container small enough to fit the airline requirements. Luckily she looked  fine once she arrived and was put back together. I learnt a lot transporting this cake.



Lat's Turtle Graduation Cake had to travel to Darwin by plane. This time I found the container first and  designed the cake to fit. It made it much easier and was a whole lot less stressful.






Finally, here is the container Mum's  60th Birthday Cake was transported in when we went  to Ocean Grove. The container is very similar to the one I used for both the Doll and Turtle cakes pictured above.


 



Because the car was packed for a holiday, there wasn't room to have the cake in the boot by itself. However it is still packed with the non-slip mat under the container and flat on the surface of the boot. Everything else just had to fit in around it.

I must admit it is the first time I have tried to transport a cake in a full boot, but it made it there in perfect condition.







If you can't find the right container for your cake, check out this

4 comments :

McChar said...

Great web site! I like the ideas on how to transport a cake and cooking with children. Keep up the great work!

jbks said...

I took a birthday cake to my daughter's place today for my grand daughters birthday, a trip of 40 km, the cake arrived fine, but I was a nervour wreck.How did you ever get your cake to Darwin? I like your site,I'll be visiting often. I've make cookie bouquets but yours look much better the mine. Guess that's the difference between professionals and also rans

Melissa, Sugar Art Designer said...

The cake went to Darwin by plane, that was easy. However, Suit Case Wedding Cake that can be seen in the "Elegant" Slideshow on the left side of my blog, was different story! If someone asks, I will tell you about the Best Wedding I have ever been to and the cake I made for it.

Charlie Bakes said...

I absolutely love the arwork on your site. They are both artistic and cute atnthe same time and Inthinknthat it will please both kids and adults. Keep on making these amaing beauties.

Charlie
www.charliesbakes.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Please leave any cake related comments or questions here.